If you’ve never heard of mini split systems, now’s the time to learn about these mini marvels. Ductless mini splits are the 2-in-1 heating and cooling system you didn’t know you needed. That’s right, one system can provide both cooling and heating to your Little Mountain, SC home. With air handlers in each room, they also provide amazing comfort control.
You might think that something that can both heat and cool might not do either thing as well as an air conditioner or a furnace. With our hot, humid summers, we can understand why that might be a concern.
But when you know that a mini split is essentially an air conditioner with an extra feature, this fear should be assuaged. It’s true that in extremely cold climates, a mini split’s performance can suffer. Mini splits are actually ideal for climates like ours: hot summers and mild winters.
Read on to learn more about why these systems are gaining in popularity among homeowners who’re looking to solve multiple home comfort issues with these versatile mini wonders.
The Mini Split’s Heat Pump Technology
A ductless mini split is essentially a heat pump that consists of multiple air handlers and a single outdoor unit. A reversing valve allows the mini split to be switched to heating mode. The mini split system will keep your home comfortable while also providing a ton of flexibility. Here are some household scenarios that are perfect for mini splits.
- Stay-at-home parents and telecommuters: Are there stay-at-home parents who are home most of the day in your household? How about telecommuters who work from home all week? With a mini split, you can avoid the need to heat or cool the entire house. They can adjust the temperature for the 1-2 rooms they tend to stay in during the day. The ability to customize your comfort levels is the genius behind mini splits.
- Multi-generational households and hot/cold family members: Do you have elderly people in your household who always run colder than everyone else? What about one person who always seems to be too hot compared to other family members? Having an air handler in each room gives you better zone control. Those who tend to be hotter or colder than the rest of the household can set their desired temperature in the bedrooms or rooms they tend to use.
Here are some other advantages to mini splits in addition to their flexibility.
- They use less energy: The heat pump technology already uses less energy compared to an air conditioner. When you add the ability to heat or cool certain rooms, your energy use will go down even more.
- They’ll save you money: Using less energy translated to lower energy bills. You’ll also save a lot by replacing two systems with one 2-in-1 system.
- Your ductwork isn’t the greatest: You won’t have to worry about the quality of your ductwork. It’s out of the equation with a ductless mini split.
- Space savers. Reclaim some square footage in your home for other uses.
Contact Fulmer Heating & Cooling to discuss if a ductless mini split is the right fit for your home. We’ve been serving this area for more than 30 years.